We Need Your Help to Sustain and Expand the Flynn Fellowship Program
Historically the majority of our funding has been provided by our founder, Fred Flynn. Several of our Hospital program partners and an increasing number of our nursing schools have worked with us collaboratively to directly support the funding of our Fellowship program.
In 2021 we successfully initiated a foundation Grants fundraising effort which thus far has generated over $100,000 in Grant funding from some prominent philanthropic organizations. In addition, our “Sponsor a Flynn Fellow” initiative has attracted several individual donors to make $5,000 donations to support the stipend cost of a Flynn Fellow either in memory of a loved one lost to cancer or in honor of cancer survivors.
How to Become a Philanthropic Partner or Program Donor
Through our Oncology Nursing Fellowship Program we are successfully addressing the critical need for more and better skilled Oncology Nurses. Our mission is to help develop the next generation of Oncology Nurses with the overarching goal of improving the future quality of care for cancer patients and their families. If your philanthropic interests include healthcare and/or education, particularly nursing education or cancer care, or if you have been touched by cancer in some way, we hope you will consider supporting our foundation. If you are interested in doing so as a philanthropic partner or as an individual donor in some way, please contact us.
“The Flynn Fellowship prepared me to start my nursing career with confidence. During my time in the fellowship, I learned about specialties within pediatric oncology and explored my interest in pediatric palliative care. The connections I made through the fellowship are ongoing sources of support and I continue to apply what I learned during the fellowship to my everyday work.”
Kelly Mannion, University of Pennsylvania
Flynn Fellow at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Palliative Care Nurse at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Sponsor a Flynn Fellow In Memory or Honor of Your Loved One
Provide a vehicle to enable grateful hospital patients and/or their families and friends to make charitable donations to a designated hospital in the memory of or in honor of a loved one impacted by cancer who was cared for at the specified hospital
- Collaboratively establish a “Memorial/Honorary donation” mechanism ideally at each Flynn Fellowship Program participating Hospital
- Coordinate this fundraising initiative through the Program Manager with the appropriate Development people…
- Arrange for visibility of this Memorial/Honorary Donation vehicle on respective hospital’s website
“Pilot” Program Successfully Completed
- A grateful family designated the Flynn Foundation “in lieu of flowers” to commemorate the passing of a loved one who was a patient at Hartford Hospital
- In doing so, over $5,000 (the approximate stipend cost of a Fellow) was raised from memorial donations by family and friends out of gratitude for the quality of Oncology nursing care provided
- To personalize this philanthropic gesture the family of the deceased directly sponsored one of last summer’s Flynn Fellows at Hartford Hospital
- The grateful Flynn Fellow sponsored recently began her Oncology Nursing career
- A close personal friend of a patient at Smilow Cancer Hospital made a $5,000 donation to Smilow to honor the memory of her dear friend who had a major impact on her family
- In doing so, she directly sponsored a Flynn Fellow last summer at Smilow whose qualities and personal attributes reflect those of her dear friend
- The grateful Flynn Fellow she sponsored recently began her career as a Pediatric Oncology Nurse
To learn more about how this collaborative philanthropic initiative works and possibly support it in some way please contact Fred Flynn at firstname.lastname@example.org.